Contact us to learn about future Kaizen Live! events in 2017 (or possibly later in 2016).
“Thank you for putting this together. This is what people should be doing instead of going to conferences.”
“There were several key items that made the workshop beneficial for our organization, including the firsthand experience of the culture from the viewpoint of the leaders, and especially front line employees. In short, the workshop was the boost we needed to further our journey.”
“This workshop was an exceptionally valuable opportunity for learning about the journey of a successful Kaizen organization in healthcare. The opportunity to Gemba walk with front-line employees that have not only engaged in Kaizen, but have fully embraced it as ‘Kaizeneers,’ made this an invaluable experience.”
“If you have a process improvement program that delivers OK results, but fails to really connect with staff, there is a better way. Mark and Joe have outlined a simple and highly effective way for staff and managers to embrace daily process improvement. The results are evident with the pride and deep engagement demonstrated by the team at Franciscan St. Francis Health.”
“This is a great workshop. Mark and Joe did a wonderful job of getting us to the gemba and interacting with the wonderful staff at St. Francis. It was eye opening to see how the front line staff have woven kaizen into their daily activities.”
The inaugural April 2015 and 2016 workshops
is sold out are now history.
2016 Event Schedule:
- Optional class(es) covering Kaizen 101 and Kaizen Coaching
- Monday April 4
- Main Kaizen Live! event
- Tuesday April 5 and Wednesday April 6
- See the 2016 agenda (PDF)
To easily re-visit this page, use the URL www.KaizenLive.com.
About the Main Kaizen Live! Workshop – April 5 and 6, 2016
Since 2007, Franciscan St. Francis Health has engaged staff to implement and document about 25,000 improvements, both large and small. They have improved the patient experience, quality, and safety, while creating a better workplace and saving millions of dollars. The NICU, for example, is in the 99th percentile for patient/family satisfaction and their manager attributes this to their Kaizen process and ideas that were implemented by their staff.
Need a PDF flyer about the event to share with your manager? Click here.
You’ve read about “Healthcare Kaizen” and Franciscan’s success with continuous improvement. Now, come visit this Indianapolis-based health system to hear about and see Kaizen in practice for a full day on April 5th and the morning of April 6th.
In this 1.5-day workshop, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Learn from Joe Swartz about his ten+ years at Franciscan spent teaching Kaizen practices and coaching staff and leaders, as Director of Business Transformation
- Also learn from Mark Graban about how to get started with Kaizen, based on his experience helping health systems around the world with Lean and continuous improvement
- Hear directly from Franciscan St. Francis executives and leaders, as they explain their critical role in fostering a culture of continuous improvement, lessons learned, and more
- Visit departments (such as pharmacy, NICU, endoscopy, etc.) in small groups to see and hear about Kaizen in practice
- See and hear about Kaizen improvements from the people who implemented them
- Learn about how they use technology to spread and share improvements across three sites
- Participate in discussions about your own active (or planned) continuous improvement journey
- Enjoy a group dinner the evening of April 4 and an optional gathering the evening of April 5
Our goal is to minimize the amount of time in didactic lecture mode and to maximize the amount of time spent in discussions, gemba visits, and Q&A sessions. You’ll have unprecedented access to Franciscan leaders and staff and you’ll have a great opportunity to really see and feel what a culture of continuous improvement looks like.
This workshop is designed for C-level executives, vice presidents and directors, continuous improvement staff, physician leaders, and more. You can get a special rate by bringing a group of three or more to learn and experience this together.
Starting in early March, you will also have access to an hour-long “Intro to Kaizen” online course that will provide an introduction to these topics. We recommend completing this online work before April 5 to maximize your on-site experience.
We also encourage attendees to first read either of these books co-authored by Joe Swartz and Mark Graban:
- Healthcare Kaizen: Engaging Front-Line Staff in Sustainable Continuous Improvements (a Shingo Research Award recipient) or
- The Executive Guide to Healthcare Kaizen: Leadership for a Continuously Learning and Improving Organization
Read About Highlights from the 2015 Event
Key lessons and highlights from 2015:
Photos from the First Workshop
See this video with Franciscan staff and leaders talking about their Kaizen approach:
You’ll see how Franciscan staff are “Kaizen crazy” and excited about improvement (read more):
You’ll hear from Franciscan managers who have MORE time in their day because they’ve developed their people and their problem solving skills (read more):